As Holly has alluded to many times in Good Food Reads, I love chimichurri. Love is probably an understatement. If I could only pick one condiment to eat for the rest of my life it would be chimichurri. I put it on everything. In fact, it is possible that I may or not have eaten it directly from the spoon. So honestly, flank steak with chimichurri is at the top of my list of foods I want to share with you. And going into a beautiful summer weekend, this is perfect for your grill!
The first time I had chimichurri sauce, I was living in Houston, TX. There was a restaurant that served plantains with chimichurri sauce as an appetizer. I immediately fell in love with this vibrant, garlicky sauce. The chimichurri sauce is super easy to make-just throw the ingredients into a food processor and enjoy the sum of the parts. When I started to learn how to cook, it was one of the things that I was the most excited about making at home-now I could have chimichurri ALL OF THE TIME!
This flank steak is created from a really special recipe. This recipe is from a good friend’s grandmother that has been passed down through the generations. He was kind enough to share it with me after we all enjoyed it at a dinner party at his house. The recipe has now become my go to recipe for entertaining at my cabin. To combine two really delicious foods into Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce just makes them both even better!
- FLANK STEAK:
- 1½ pound Flank Steak
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- CHIMICHURRI SAUCE:
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Make the Flank Steak by combining olive oil, soy sauce, minced garlic, molasses, ginger, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce in a resealable bag.
- Add flank steak to marinade and seal bag,
- Place bag in refrigerator and allow steak to marinade overnight.
- The next day, approximately 40 minutes before you are planning to eat:
- Make the chimichurri sauce by placing 4 cloves of garlic in the bowl of a food processor and pulsing until minced.
- Add the parsley, cilantro and basil to the food processor and process until a paste.
- Add rice wine vinegar, salt, pepper, Tabasco sauce to the processor and pulse to combine.
- Slowly add ½ cup of extra-virgin olive oil to food processor with motor running to form the sauce.
- Transfer sauce to a jar.
- Heat your grill.
- Take flank steak out of the refrigerator and allow to warm up on the counter for 10-20 minutes.
- Grill steak 6-8 minutes per side, depending on how well done you like your meat.
- Remove steak from grill and allow to sit for 10 minutes
- Slice steak against the grain.
- Serve sliced flank steak drizzled with chimichurri sauce.
PS-Don’t blame me if you become addicted to this sauce.