Are you looking for a good summer salad? Roasted Beet and Orange Salad is the salad for you! As many of you know, I am a huge lover of beets. I often find myself with leftover roasted beets in my refrigerator, and this salad is a fabulous use for them. Not only is this salad colorful, it is also packed with nutrition!
Roasted beets are very simple to make and are a fabulous pairing with a tangy feta cheese, salty pecans and sweet oranges. I find it easiest to roast a few beets at the beginning of the week and then I have left overs to use in salads, on crostini, or in hummus. I like to roast my beets in infused olive oils, and for this specific salad I used a blood orange infused olive oil from Queen Creek Olive Oil in Gilbert, AZ. (If you find yourself in Arizona, anywhere near Gilbert, you should definitely check it out!) I picked up my oils over spring break, and came back with blood orange, lemon and chile infused olive oils, not to mention a whole host of balsamic vinegars.
Roasted Beet and Orange Salad is finished with a simple citrus vinaigrette. I again used the olive oil infused with blood orange from Queen Creek Olive Mill. Combined with some lemon zest, lemon juice and an orange blossom infused honey, this is a great, light addition to this salad. Enjoy this salad with guests or enjoy it by yourself!
- 1 large beet
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (I used a blood orange infused olive oil from Queen Creek Olive Mill)
- 2 large oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- ½ cup pecans
- 3 cups spring mix
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey (I used an orange blossom infused honey)
- ½ cup olive oil (I used a blood orange infused olive oil from Queen Creek Olive Mill)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Scrub the large beet and place on a large square of foil.
- Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil.
- Wrap the beet tightly in foil and place in the oven.
- Roast for 1 hour or until the beet is soft when poked with a fork.
- Remove beet from oven and allow to cool.
- While beet is roasting, make the vinaigrette.
- In a mason jar, combine lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, honey, ½ cup olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Shake until well combined.
- After beet is cooled, peel and slice beet (beware beets can stain your fingers!)
- Arrange salad greens in a large bowl.
- Arrange feta, oranges, beets and pecans in rows over the salad greens.
- Toss before serving.
- Serve salad with vinaigrette.