Party time in my house tonight. Tonight is book club and I am hosting! What is the book you ask? Silly you*, now let’s get on to important details! Every time I host, I am excited to put together a menu that I think that my friends would enjoy. But, I also work a full time job, have 2 kids and don’t have a ton of time to make a lot of complicated dishes. Enter these rosemary chipotle spiced nuts. Simple, yet elegant. Quick, yet so, so tasty.
These are so easy, I had them roasting while making something else entirely. And to make it even better…they are actually supposed to be made ahead of time! I have adapted this recipe from one by the legendary Ina Garten, of Barefoot Contessa fame. If you haven’t checked out her books you really should (if only for the make ahead goat cheese mashed potatoes, but I digress…).
As I mentioned previously, time is not always on my side. Given this, I made my life easy by buying my nuts at Costco. I bought the Unsalted Mixed Nuts mix which contains cashews, almonds, pecans and pistachios. The 2.5 pound tub (there really is no better word for it, is there?) is the perfect amount of nuts for this Rosemary Chipotle Spiced Nuts recipe-plus if you use this mix, it’s just dump and stir! Oh, you don’t have a Costco nearby? Well, I am SO sorry for you, for a multitude of reasons, but fear not, any mix of nuts will do-just use between 7-8 cups of nuts and this recipe will still be great!
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 tub Unsalted Mixed Nuts (can be found at Costco as a 2.5 lb. mix of cashews, almonds, pistachios and pecans)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Brush a sheet pan with vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, combine maple syrup, brown sugar, orange juice and chipotle chili powder.
- Add nuts and stir to coat.
- Spread coated nuts on sheet pain.
- Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of rosemary and 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt.
- Roast the nuts in the 350ºF oven for 25 minutes, stirring frequently, until the nuts are glazed.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the additional 2 Tablespoons of rosemary and the additional 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt.
- Allow to cool, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store in a airtight container (see, these CAN be made ahead of time!)
*OK, I didn’t really mean silly you, that would’ve been my question too! I happen to love books as much as I love food. The book of the night is “Attachments” by Rainbow Rowell.