You know how sometimes you make those mistakes that you look back on and say “I didn’t mean to do that, but I am sure glad I did!”? Those mistakes that occur because you’re on warp speed, and you just need to slow down a notch or two? Well this Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Egg Bake was born out of one of those mistakes. And a glorious mistake it was… (WARNING: This egg bake is not for the sausage averse…)
While at the cabin this weekend, I was trying to get an egg bake into the oven to feed all of our guests. To be fair, that particular morning I was multitasking as I had several children clamoring for my attention, and the most common words being used by our littles were “I want!” and “why?” (so unlike every other day with young children, right parents?).
I was using the tried and true recipe for Holly’s Make it Your Own Egg Bake, which is always a huge hit. I had previously decided to add a few things (roasted red peppers and shallots) and had them all ready to go. My dear friends do not eat pork, so I had decided to substitute Chicken Sausage for the ham (and I wasn’t stingy with the sausage). I had everything ready, but instead of reading the directions to create the beautiful layers of the original egg bake, I threw most of the ingredients into the bowl and mixed. Oops. Or not.
Turns out the mixture was gorgeous. No layer of cheese per se, but cheese marbled throughout. Sausage, peppers and shallots studding the entire egg bake. Fluffy egg weaves it all together. I did preserve the hash brown crust from the original recipe (and so should you). And the best news? Leftovers of this Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Egg Bake are fantastic. Truly fantastic.
- 16 oz hash browns (I used Simply Potatoes shredded hash browns)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages sausage links (I used Applegate Chicken and Sage Sausage links), cooked and sliced
- ½ cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Place the hash browns into a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Drizzle melted butter over hash browns and then place into preheated oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until hash browns are golden brown and then remove from oven.
- Turn oven down to 350ºF.
- While hash browns are baking, whisk eggs with milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add chicken sausage, red pepper, shallots, cheddar cheese and pepper jack cheese to egg mixture.
- Combine well and pour over hash brown layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until well set and egg layer is golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.