What the world needs now is…Seven Layer Bars. Seven Layer Bars? Yep, these are bars what is going to bridge the country’s divide. So simple really, I can’t believe we haven’t thought of it before! Let me tell you why…
Right after waking up this morning, I made the mistake of scrolling through my Facebook feed where at the top was a disagreement between two friends of mine. The disagreement was particularly painful because it was between two very well educated, talented, superstar women who have unfortunately allowed rhetoric to get in the way of the beliefs that I know both of them hold. Freedom, equality, love for our fellow humans, and democracy. These are the things that make our country great and I know both of these wonderful, talented women believe in these ideals. However things were written, tempers flared and I have now been bothered by this argument all day. And when I’m bothered, I cook.
This recipe is an oldie but a goodie. My mom would make these Seven Layer Bars as a “special treat” and I equate them with comfort when I need it most. To me they signify everything that is right with the world-coconut, butterscotch, chocolate and pecans. Oh, OK, I know that these flavors aren’t going to be everyone’s nirvana. And if they aren’t, I fully support you in finding the ooey-gooey comfort bar of your choice. For the rest of us…make yourself a pan of these Seven Layer Bars and don’t forget to share. What the world needs now is peace, and a Seven Layer Bar.
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 11.5 ounce package of chocolate chips
- 1 11 ounce package of butterscotch chips
- 1½ cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a medium sized bowl mix graham cracker crumbs with cinnamon and melted butter.
- Pack into a greased 9x9 pan.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes.
- Decrease oven temperature to 325ºF.
- Layer chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut and pecans over crust.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over top and allow to spread over the whole pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut and enjoy (don't forget to share!).
PS: Not quite sure why they are called Seven Layer Bars…I count FIVE layers, right? I will start pondering this now-I’ll let you know later if I figure it out!
What are your comfort foods? Let us know below!