These Sweet Corn, Zucchini, and Chicken Tostadas have been a late spring and summer favorite in my house for the past few years. Based on a Cooking Light recipe I’ve adapted over time, they make quick and easy dinner that takes advantage of the best of summer – fresh sweet corn, abundant crisp zucchini, and a light sauce made from salsa verde, onions, and a dash of hot roasted chilis. The tostadas are studded with quick cooking chicken tenders coated in a basic mixture of cumin, salt, and pepper. Piled on crisp tostadas and topped with fresh cilantro and shredded Mexican blend cheese, all it takes is a twist of lime and a few chunks of a perfectly ripe avocado and you have a perfect weeknight meal that your whole family will love.
The recipe is easily adaptable to all ages and tastes. My family (including my three year old!) loves it spicy, but if you’re afraid of the heat, leave out the chili peppers and pick a mild salsa verde. On the flip side, if you love spicy food, feel free to adjust the intensity by adding more chili peppers and a fiery salsa. You can easily make the corn, zucchini, and chicken mixture ahead of time, but don’t assemble the tostadas until you’re ready to eat or they’ll lose their delicious crunch. I like to double the recipe so to ensure some lunchtime recipes for the next day! It also transports well for new baby or sympathy meals. I don’t recommend freezing, as you’ll lose the beautiful crispness of the fresh veggies.
What are your favorite recipes for easy weeknight cooking?
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb chicken tenders, raw
- 2 heaping teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 ears of corn, kernels cut off
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- ½ cup salsa verde
- 1 tablespoon canned roasted green chilis
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- Corn tostadas
- Shredded Mexican Cheese for topping
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 small lime
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or braiser over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Coat the chicken tenders with the spice mixture.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the heated pan and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, until just cooked through.
- Remove from the pan, roughly chop into bite sized pieces, and set aside briefly.
- In the same pan, add the corn, zucchini, and onion and saute 2-3 minutes until just softened.
- Add the salsa verde, the chilis, the cooked chicken, and the cilantro.
- Allow the salsa to reduce, 3-4 minutes.
- Serve the mixture tostadas, topped with cheese, avocado, cilantro, and a dash of fresh lime juice.