As I sit here in my yoga pants and sweatshirt (don’t judge-it’s the weekend!), listening to the breeze ruffle the leaves, I think I finally have to admit summer is over. I am crying inside knowing that it will be a long 9 months until I can swim in the lake (fellow Minnesotans know this is actually quite optimistic, but let me have my delusions). But for all of those tears, I am also secretly excited for the beauties of fall. Football games, gorgeous brilliant leaves in all colors of the rainbow, sweatshirts (I really love them enough to give them two mentions) and of course…soup. And for the perfect meal to straddle that summer into fall weather… Thai Chicken Soup.
Thai Chicken Soup is a delicious, comforting soup reminiscent of a Thai restaurant. It features bold Thai flavors, so much so that you would think it would be complicated. But here’s the secret-you can throw it together in 30 minutes or less!
You are going to need a few ingredients that you may not stock in your pantry, but I assure you they are were all easy to find at my suburban grocery store. (Since these are ingredients I use frequently in Asian inspired dishes, there will be more uses for them coming up. Stay tuned.) If your grocery store does not have an Asian section, I was able to find all of these on amazon. Sambal Oelek (chili paste), Fish Sauce, Coconut Milk, and lemongrass all combine to make a flavorful soup that was is a huge hit with my entire family!
We serve this soup with a side of crusty bread (my kids like to sop up the flavorful broth), but it would also pair well with a salad, rice crackers or even potstickers. I’ve also been meaning to try serving it over rice (maybe next time…I’ll let you know how it goes).
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, matchsticks or finely diced
- 4 teaspoons ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3-5 inch stalk of lemongrass, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons Sambal Oelek (chili paste)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can lite coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups cooked chicken, sliced or shredded
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup peanuts, chopped
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven.
- Add mushrooms, red pepper, carrot, ginger, garlic, and lemongrass to the dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add sambal oelek (chili paste) and then cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar and bring to a slow simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken to soup and then allow to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass stalks and discard.
- Add green onions, cilantro and lime juice.
- Stir to combine.
- Dish up into bowls and garnish with chopped peanuts, additional green onions or additional cilantro.