If you’ve been following With Two Spoons for awhile, you might have noticed that both Lane and I love to travel. We both really love the thrill of experiencing new places and cultures, especially when it comes to food! Late last week, my husband and I snuck away to Hawaii to celebrate our birthdays. Hawaii is one of our favorite places in the world for so many reasons – beautiful weather, gorgeous beaches, and (of course) amazing food. It’s our favorite place to really, truly relax. The one thing we don’t always love? The flight time. From the midwest, you’re looking at a solid 9 hours of in seat time to get to this island paradise. And while Hawaii is 100 percent worth it, as well all know, flying isn’t always the most pleasant of experiences. That being said, I’ve discovered over time that there are a few small things that can make long flights a little more enjoyable. Here’s my personal list of 5 Travel Essentials for Long Flights!
01. Snacks. It’s probably no surprise that as a food blogger, I’m talking about snacks here. I am a big fan of packing good, healthy snacks for any flight over 3 hours. While most airports have definitely expanded options to include healthier items in recent years, they are often really over priced and selection can be limited. My current favorites for travel include Epic Bars, Veggie Crisps, and individual packs of nuts. I also bring a large (empty) water bottle with me and fill it up before getting on the plane. It’s super important to stay hydrated when flying!
02. A Charger Organizer. I don’t know about you, but my carryon always has at least 3 electronic devices. I usually have my iPhone, my kindle, and frequently an iPad or laptop. I used to shove all of my chargers into a ziplock bag and call it a day. And frankly, that works perfectly well, but I recently bought an inexpensive charger organizer for a trip and it was a huge game changer. It kept everything organized and easily accessible both in flight and at my destination.
03. A Large Travel Scarf. My husband will tell you that I’m a little on the temperature sensitive side. Like the three little bears, I’m not a fan of too hot or too cold. I want it juuuuust right. When traveling, that can be tough so I am a big fan of layers. While traveling in Nepal about 18 years ago, I purchased a beautiful, huge pink pashmina that has since traveled the world with me. I never fly without it. It’s a great blanket if I want to sleep during the flight, and is a cozy and stylish scar or wrap when I reach my destination. This oversized version from amazon would be a great option!
04. Skincare Treats. Airplanes are notoriously drying for your skin and I always try to bring along a good moisturizer or skin care treat for any long flight. Especially when taking an overnight flight, I start by taking off any makeup I’m wearing with an easy makeup remover wipe and then slathering on a good, thick moisturizing lotion. This trip, I brought along a sampler from Drunk Elephant and I’ve been loving it. I think this Laneige hydrating mini kit would also be fantastic!
05. Good Books. I am a huge fan of reading on planes. I definitely love to watch movies, too, but there is something so wonderful about indulging in guilt-free binge reading on long flights. Years ago, I used to lug along tons of heavy books when I would travel, but the advent of e-readers was a total game changer for me. I never travel without my kindle. This trip I’ve been tackling some wonderful books like this one, this one, and this one. What have you been reading lately?
Do you have any must haves for long trips? We’d love to hear them! Let us know in the comments below.