I am a carb addict. It’s true. A few years ago, I tried to do the whole low-carb thing and let’s just say, I wasn’t a pleasant person for a while. I have no problems passing up a tray of sweets, but salty carbs? Don’t get in my way. That is especially true for roasted potatoes. I love them prepared just about any way, but these Bacon Olive Oil Smashed Potatoes are my new favorite thing. As some of you may know, we’ve partnered with Queen Creek Olive Mill in Arizona to feature some of their amazing oils and vinegars throughout the year. We have been long time fans of their amazing products and I make it a point to get out to the olive mill each time I’m in the Phoenix area (I have serious cravings for the prickly pear lemonade and the olive oil cupcakes!). They recently sent us some fun product to try and the first thing I couldn’t wait to use was their amazing Bacon Olive Oil. You guys, I have been putting this stuff on everything. It’s such an easy way to add that great savory bacon flavor to eggs, salads, or in this case, potatoes.
As I was cooking dinner the other night, I grabbed a bag of new potatoes and was all set to slice and roast them when I looked over at the bottle of bacon olive oil and knew I had to do something fun! After a quick boil, these little babies were tossed in a tablespoon of the olive oil and gently “smashed” until slightly flattened on a baking sheet. A pinch of kosher salt and then a generous sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese and they were ready for the oven. (If you don’t have a bottle of the bacon olive oil handy and you want to make them right now, you can definitely cook up some bacon and toss the potatoes in the bacon fat. It’s messier, but it will work.)
Roasted at 400F for about 20 minutes, the edges were crispy and the insides were soft and buttery. Another dash of parmesan and some fresh chopped chives quickly finished the dish. If you really wanna be decadent, go ahead and drizzle a little more of that glorious oil on them, too!
Find the recipe for our Bacon Olive Oil Smashed Potatoes below and don’t forget to head over to Queen Creek and grab a bottle of the bacon olive oil!
FTC Disclaimer: We were sent the olive oil used in this post by Queen Creek Olive Mill but all opinions are our own and we genuinely love and use this stuff in our own kitchens. This recipe is our own creation and we hope you love it (and the olive oil!) as much as we do. Our promise to you is that we will never post about any company or product we don’t believe in.
- 2 pounds small white or yellow creamer potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 Tablespoon Queen Creek Bacon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Kosher salt
- Fresh chives (for garnish)
- Place the cleaned potatoes in a large sauce pan and cover with cold water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Boil until the potatoes are just fork tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, drizzle the potatoes with 1 Tablespoon of Bacon Olive Oil and lightly toss to coat.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or a silpat.
- Gently "smash" each potato with a fork until just slightly flattened.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with a pinch of kosher salt and then top with half of the parmesan.
- Roast for approximately 20 minutes, or until the edges are golden and just crisp.
- Remove from the oven and toss with the remaining parmesan and some fresh chopped chives.
- Optional: Add another drizzle of olive oil just before serving!