I won’t lie, it’s been a tough few weeks. I’ve been down and out sick and just getting out of bed in the morning has been a real challenge (and we’re talking getting out of bed to go lie on the couch). My poor husband has been keeping things rolling and picking up the slack with the kids and around the house. I haven’t been able to visit Holly and our newest addition to the With Two Spoons team (born October 6th!). I even spent Halloween holed up in bed while my dad handed out candy so my husband could take my little out. We’ve eaten pizza for 4 of the last 5 meals. But today, today I finally felt like maybe I could tackle dinner. And whenever you are struggling, go back to the beginning. Back to Balsamic Pork with Gnocchi.
The beginning? I’m sure you are wondering what exactly this means. What would make Balsamic Pork with Gnocchi the beginning? Well, my beginning in the kitchen was about 10 years ago, when it was pointed out that eating out for every meal may not be the healthiest option. Motivated by my great friend Laura, I learned how to make simple yet flavorful dishes for my family. This recipe, although tweaked over the years, is my beginning. And if it was my beginning, rest assured, it will be simple for you!
Balsamic Pork with Gnocchi combines my love for my slow cooker with my love of comfort food. It is simple, flavorful, and mostly cooks while you work, or chase kids, or in my case, today, just lie on the couch (don’t judge, I’m sick!).
Of course if you don’t like gnocchi (really, does that person exist?) you can serve this over noodles, mashed potatoes, or another of my personal favorites-polenta. It is delicious, no matter what you decide to serve it over. Let this be your beginning!
- 2-2.5 pound pork loin, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup beef stock (you can also use chicken stock or even just water)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 2 packages shelf stable gnocchi
- italian parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Pour beef stock into a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine garlic, sage, salt and pepper.
- Press spice/garlic mix into pork with your fingers.
- Place spice covered pork into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours on low.
- In a small saucepan combine brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and corn starch.
- Bring sauce to a boil and boil until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- After pork has been fully cooked, drain and return to the slow cooker.
- Pull pork with 2 forks, it should fall apart easily.
- Combine pulled pork with ½-3/4 cup of balsamic sauce (save the rest).
- Cook on low for another 30 minutes while you make the gnocchi.
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil.
- When water is boiling, add gnocchi and boil until gnocchi floats (approximately 2-4 minutes).
- Drain gnocchi.
- Serve pork over gnocchi, drizzled with extra balsamic sauce and garnished with chopped parsley.