Happy New Year, friends! It’s hard to believe that the holidays have come and gone and 2018 is here already. I loved spending time with family and friends over the past few weeks and celebrating all the fun we had in 2017. Now, I know that for many people, January means new goals and intentions for the new year. If you’re anything like me, those goals or intentions often include health and fitness. Self promises to eat better, move more, and do something less. Well, if you came here looking for a healthy new year recipe, I’m going to break it to you gently: this isn’t it. And you know what? I’m not sorry in the least. Our Cheesy Artichoke Dip is a full flavor, comfort food treat that is worth every single calorie.
Our artichoke dip starts with a can of quartered artichoke hearts and a clove of garlic. I mince the garlic (you could also use a garlic press) and then roughly chop the drained artichoke hearts. Toss them both into a pan with about a teaspoon of warmed olive oil and sauté for a few minutes, just to get a bit of golden color on the artichokes. While the artichokes are cooking, I mix together a cup of mayonnaise, eight ounces of cream cheese, two cups of shredded mozzarella and about five ounces (or one tub) of grated parmesan cheese.
Real talk: It’s totally fine to use the bagged mozzarella and a tub of pre-grated parmesan. There’s no shame in my appetizer game, people. People love good food. And they love good people. Don’t complicate it. Add in pinch of cayenne pepper and some kosher salt. Toss in your artichokes and garlic and gently fold everything together until nice and combined. Place the cheesy mix into a small baking pan – I love to use my small Le Creuset baker – and then top with panko. The whole thing goes in the oven until bubbling and hot, about 30 minutes.
I love to serve this dip with rosemary flatbread crackers (I buy these in bulk at Costco!). It’s also fantastic on crudité or even just eaten with a spoon. You can easily heat up leftovers the next day, though it’s rare to have any with a dip this good!
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 clove garlic
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 ounces (1 tub) grated parmesan
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ cup panko
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel and mince the garlic clove.
- Roughly chop the artichoke hearts.
- In a medium skillet, heat one teaspoon olive oil. Add the artichokes and garlic and saute until just golden, approximately 3 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning the garlic.
- In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, mayo, cayenne pepper, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the warm artichoke mixture and stir to combine.
- Place the artichoke and cheese mix into a small baking dish. Top with panko.
- Bake at 375 for approximately 30 minutes, or until just golden and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.