As you can imagine, any time Holly and I get together there is a lot of talk about food. And none more than when we are planning a girls weekend at my cabin. We knew it would be hot. We knew our other partner in crime (Hi Em!) was coming with us and likely didn’t want to spend ALL DAY cooking. We knew we wanted delicious food. Enter Chipotle Pulled Pork Sliders, made in the slow cooker. My favorite kitchen tool in the winter, it is also unbelievably useful in the summer. Especially when you don’t want to heat up your cabin with the oven. Especially when you’re going to want something amazing for dinner. Especially when you want to spend the day outdoors, splashing in the lake and taking the boat out for a spin!
A pork shoulder is the perfect cut of meat for these Chipotle Pulled Pork Sliders. Cooked low and slow in the slow cooker it turns into a flavorful tender sandwich filling. Our secret weapon to use for the cooking liquid? Guinness beer! If you haven’t had meat cooked in Guinness beer, well, you better remedy that darn quick. And the great news about that slow cooker? Not only does it not heat up the cabin (thank you!), it gives you plenty of time to go out for that boat ride AND enjoy a cold one on the dock (did I say thank you?)!
Both Holly and I love the spice of chipotle chiles, and they are so easy to find in the grocery store these days that they are almost the perfect ingredient. We added some to the pork as it was cooking, but we also made a chipotle mayo to give these just a little more kick. Don’t like spice? No worries, you can leave the chipotle out of the mayo or even leave off the mayo all together (although that may be pure heresy)! We also added a shredded cabbage for extra crunch and piled the pork on Hawaiian rolls for a little hint of sweet. Are you hungry yet?
This is the perfect recipe for your Fourth of July celebration-delicious sliders that feed a crowd, but more importantly, cook while you play outside with your family!
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chipotle in adobo sauce
- 3 pound pork shoulder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle Guinness beer
- 2 chipotle peppers, minced + 1 Tablespoon of adobo sauce
- 1 white onion, sliced
- shredded cabbage, raw
- 24 King's Hawaiian Dinner Rolls
- In a small bowl mix mayonnaise with 2 Tablespoons of minced chipotle with adobo sauce.
- Place in refrigerator to allow flavors to develop.
- Combine cumin, salt and pepper in a resealable bag.
- Place pork in bag and rub with spices.
- In a medium sized bowl combine beer and 2 minced chipotle peppers and 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce.
- Lay onion slices on bottom of slow cooker.
- Place spice rubbed pork on top of sliced onions.
- Pour beer and chipotle mixture over pork.
- Place slow cooker on low and cook pork for 7-8 hours until meat is tender.
- Pull pork apart with 2 forks and mix with cooked onions.
- Slice dinner rolls and spread with chipotle mayonnaise.
- Place shredded cabbage on bottom of dinner rolls.
- Pile high with shredded pork.