Recently I’ve been looking for more ways to get my four year old into the kitchen cooking with me. He loves to help mix up cookies and chop veggies but as he’s gotten a little older, I wanted to find a cooking project he could do largely on his own. As I sat staring into my pantry yesterday, I spied a box of Rice Krispies and a bag of marshmallows and I realized, what could be easier than classic Rice Krispies Treats? Aside from the melting of the butter and marshmallow, those perfect little pillows of marshallow-y goodness really don’t require much in the way of kitchen skill. So there I was, all set to make a batch with my kiddo when he got home from preschool when I noticed the bag of bittersweet chocolate chips staring at me from the shelf below the marshmallows. And that’s when my plans took a quick turn. While I do intend to get my little guy in the kitchen to make some classic Rice Krispies treats soon, I decided in that moment that my chocolate craving was winning and needed to be addressed ASAP. Thus was born my new favorite indulgence: Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispies Bites with Dulce de Leche.
This recipe starts out very similar to the age old favorite. Melt some butter in a sauce pan, stir in a bag of marshmallows and mix it all together with a bunch of Rice Krispies. After pressing the cereal mixture into a greased pan, I allow them to chill in the freezer for a few minutes to allow for easier cutting. Then they are cut into small ( 1.5 to 2 inch squares) squares, coated with a thin layer of dulce de leche, and then dipped into chocolate. Sprinkle with the faintest dusting of salt and allow to chill and you have the cutest, decadent little dessert bites perfect for parties. Or for Tuesdays.
These bites can be kept in an airtight container for a few days. They are best served slightly chilled. Of course, if you’re not super into mini desserts like I am (or if you just don’t feel like cutting and dipping lots of little squares) these are just as delicious as more traditional bars. Simply prepare the cereal bars as usual, spread on a layer of dulce de leche and then pour over the melted chocolate and slice into individual servings after the whole thing has chilled.
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows (1 bag)
- 5½ cups puffed rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 jar Dulce de Leche
- 1½ cups dark or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Prepare an 8x8 or 9x9 pan by coating with a light layer of nonstick cooking spray.
- In a wide mouth sauce pan, melt the butter and marshmallows together until smooth.
- Add in the Rice Krispies and quickly stir to coat the cereal.
- Turn the marshmallow and cereal mixture into the prepared pan and, using a greased spatula, gently press it into the pan.
- Allow to chill in the refrigerator or freezer for approximately 10 minutes or until slightly firm.
- Meanwhile, place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat on 30 second intervals, stirring frequently, until just melted and combined.
- Cut the cereal bars into small square and top each square with a thin layer of dulce de leche.
- Dip the bars into the chocolate mixture and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Allow to chill and sprinkle with a tiny pinch of kosher or sea salt.