Remember that Quaker oatmeal? The kind that came in packets? The one that came in many different flavors? I was a particular fan of the Maple Brown Sugar flavor, but the Apple Cinnamon flavor came in a close second. It was always hard to choose! I don’t know if it’s still around, but I figured it would be probably be pretty easy to make at home. Always a girl to “want it all”, I decided that if I was making it, I sure wasn’t going to be choosing anymore, because truthfully Maple, Apple, and Cinnamon all worked perfectly together. Given my current obsession with the Instant Pot, the path was clear. Instant Pot Maple Apple Steel Cut Oats. Done and Done.
A warm breakfast is a special treat in my house where we are all flying in 4 different directions at all times. As the Instant Pot is a designated time saver, it is my go-to for busy times. Although you may be able make steel cut oats just as fast on the stove, with the Instant Pot you just throw in the ingredients, set the time and go shower. No standing over the stove, no stirring, no worries. Hot breakfast while I’m getting ready? Count me in!
Variety is the spice of life and it seems that everyone in my house likes something different to top their oats. I like pecans and sometimes even raisins. My daughter likes chopped apples. My son likes an extra drizzle of maple syrup. You can have it your way. And that is a beautiful thing indeed.
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups apple, peeled and chopped (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 2½ cup water
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- chopped apples, pecans, raisins, maple syrup for garnish
- Turn your Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function.
- Melt the butter in the pot.
- Add the oats and apples and cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the water, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and salt.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Allow a 10 minute natural release.
- Stir the oatmeal, which will thicken as it cools.
- Serve with the toppings of your choice.
What is your favorite breakfast food? Let us know below!