I think anyone who knows me well is aware of the fact that I have a major soup addiction. I can eat it pretty much all day, any day. Lunch? Awesome. Dinner? Definitely. I’ve even been known to have some for breakfast. I love hearty soups like our lasagna soup, spicy vegetable based versions (try our black bean version here), and pretty much anything you can put cheese in, like our Chipotle and Stout Chili. When time allows, I love to bust out my trusty dutch oven, chop a bunch of vegetables, and let something cook all day. The house fills with amazing smells and I go about my day, knowing a satisfying meal is a few hours away. Let’s be real, though, most days as a busy working mama of two littles are not super well suited to time intensive recipes. Dinner needs to get on the table and toddlers need to be chased around. Enter: our Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Soup.
I fell in love with the Instant Pot about two summers ago. Bought on a whim on PrimeDay, it initially served as a glorified rice cooker. As I got a little bolder, my InstantPot has become a definite go-to for crazy days. It is especially well suited for quick cooking soups that taste like they’ve been simmering all day. With our recent, seemingly unending cold snap here in the #boldnorth, I’ve been craving soup and more soup. Wanting some bright and fresh flavors, I came up with this Salsa Verde Chicken Soup as a quick, satisfying weeknight dinner. I think you’re going to love it!
The recipe starts with some sautéd onion and cumin. You then tuck a couple of pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs into the Instant Pot and pour in some chicken stock. Set your pot to cook on high pressure for 10 min. Allow a natural pressure release for 5 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure. Pull out the chicken and shred all of that deliciousness and set aside briefly. Add some cannellini beans, a jar of salsa verde, and fresh lime juice to your pot and simmer for 5-10 minutes to combine the flavors. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and briefly simmer a few more minutes until warmed through. Serve with chopped green onion and fresh lime slices and, if you’re feeling indulgent, a good dollop of sour cream. Try not to eat it all at once! The soup keeps well for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 heaping teaspoons cumin
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) of salsa verde
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Set InstantPot to simmer and add the olive oil.
- Sauté the onion until just translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cumin and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Turn off the sauté function.
- Add the chicken thighs and cover with 1 quart of chicken stock.
- Place the lid on the InstantPot and set the vent to seal.
- Cook on high pressure (manual) for 10 minutes.
- Natural Pressure Release for 5 min, then quick release.
- Remove the chicken from the InstantPot and, using two forks, gently shred the meat. Set aside.
- To the broth, add the beans, salsa verde, and juice of ½ a lime.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot and simmer an additional 3-4 minutes, until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
- Garnish with chopped green onion, lime slices, and sour cream if desired!