This past weekend was girls’ weekend at the cabin. No husbands. No boyfriends. No kids. Only lots and lots of relaxation on the dock, good conversation, good food, and of course…cocktails. A summer girls’ weekend cocktail needs to be bold, different, and most of all refreshing. That is where these Lavender Lemonade Tonics come to the rescue!
Not only is this cocktail refreshing, it is just as good without the alcohol, for those who would prefer it that way. This refreshing Lavender Lemonade Tonic packs a punch, mostly because of the lavender infused simple syrup. Lavender is available locally through Golden Fig Fine Foods in St. Paul, MN or through many other places on the internet (Penzey’s Spices, amazon). Make sure when you are buying lavender that you buy culinary lavender or “food grade” lavender. Once you try it, you will wonder where it has been all your life!
We made this Lavender Lemonade Tonic with a locally produced vodka, Prairie Organic Vodka. It is a vodka made from organic corn produced on three family farms located in the heart of the Minnesota prairie. It uses sustainable processes and most importantly, makes a great cocktail. Although this recipe is for one cocktail, the amount of simple syrup infused with lavender made by following this recipe will allow you to quickly throw together many cocktails with ease. If your circle of girlfriends is large, multiply the ingredients and mix it up in a pitcher-trust me, we won’t judge. So go ahead, grab some ice, grab a shaker and start your happy hour.
- 1 cup sugar + extra for rimming the glass
- 1½ Tablespoons culinary Lavender
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 slice lemon
- ½ cup tonic water
- 1 shot (1.5 ounce) vodka
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, lavender and water.
- Bring to a boil, at which point sugar should be completely dissolved, creating a syrup.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, steeping lavender for approximately 20 minutes.
- Pour syrup through a strainer, straining out the lavender.
- Place simple syrup into the refrigerator until cold.
- Rim a highball glass with sugar.
- Fill the glass with ice and a slice of lemon.
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine 1 Tablespoon of the simple syrup, lemon juice, tonic and vodka and shake until cold.
- Strain into ice-filled glass.
To make this cocktail non-alcoholic, omit the vodka and add an additional 1/4 cup of tonic water.
For another great lavender infused cocktail, check out Fox and Briar for their delicious sounding Lavender Collins.