Celebration indeed! This Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake will make everyone want to celebrate!
Ahhhh, vacation. Yep, that is right, vacation. Much needed, well-deserved, greatly enjoyed. Don’t we all love going on vacation? Well, my in-laws have decided to “winter” in Arizona 5 months of the year, truly living the ultimate vacation. Unfortunately that means that they aren’t always available to celebrate my youngest child’s birthday on his actual birthday date (in February). No problem, he’s now old enough to understand that not having grandma and grandpa here on his birthday just means presents in the mail (so awesome) and another celebration at a later date (even more awesome). Who doesn’t love another celebration?
We all decided that this celebration should occur while on our annual pilgrimage to visit the in-laws in Arizona. My sweet, sweet 13 year old daughter (who is the baker in the family) decided that she wanted to make the cake. My little one loves everything lemon-blueberry; cupcakes, muffins and of course, cake, so after a lot of deliberation, this Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake was the cake he chose. She wasted no time putting together a grocery list, setting a date for the celebration and ultimately getting to work in the kitchen.
Now, I’m going to tell you a little secret. If you start your kids early in the kitchen, you can let them be totally independent when they have a great idea (like baking their brother’s birthday cake). Where was I while this Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake was being created? Why, on the back patio, sipping wine under the umbrella of course! I was called in, however, when the masterpiece had been created. And what a masterpiece it was! Lemon icing, blueberries and lemon zest came together to make this a truly beautiful cake. And the best part? When my 5 year old declared it “the most delicious cake ever” and his big sister “the best sister ever”. My work here may be done….
- 2¾ cups all purpose flour + 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened + extra to grease the pain
- 1¾ cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice + 8-10 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (for icing).
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest + zest for garnish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1¼ cup blueberries + blueberries for garnish
- 1½ powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare bundt pan by greasing with extra butter.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat softened butter until smooth and then add sugar and beat until well combined.
- Beat eggs into butter mixture, one at a time.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla to butter/egg mixture, beating until well combined.
- Add flour mixture (from large bowl you set aside earlier) and buttermilk to butter/egg mixture, beating for at least 2 minutes to fully combine.
- In a small bowl, combine blueberries with 1 Tablespoon of flour.
- Add flour coated blueberries to batter.
- Pour into buttered bundt pain.
- Place bundt pan into preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Once fully cooled, run a knife around the edge and flip cake onto wire rack.
- Make glaze by combining powdered sugar with lemon juice until desired consistency.
- Drizzle glaze onto cake and let it flow down sides.
- Garnish with blueberries and lemon zest.
- Serve and enjoy!