I’ve been slightly obsessed with radishes lately. I am seeing them everywhere…beautiful pictures in magazines, huge bundles at the farmer’s market, piles at the co-op. They are gorgeous this time of year, spicy, crunchy and so fresh! So when I came across this recipe I knew I had to make it. And I’m so, so glad I did! Similar to the gyro dip you always ask for more of (OK, well I also ask for more of), with the same addictive qualities.
This radish and cucumber tzatziki is a garlicky, flavorful dip. It is the perfect accompaniment to pita chips, fresh vegetables, or as a spread on a sandwich. Light and fresh, this is a creamy cucumber sauce worthy of a greek restaurant. The addition of radishes gives it a spicy, crunchy kick that elevates this dip.
A few tips on making this Radish and Cucumber Tzatziki dip. Cucumbers have a high water content and the more water you can squeeze out out of the shredded cucumber, the better this dip is. I also found that squeezing my radishes helped as well as you do not want to your dip to become too runny. This dip went together quickly after using a food processor to shred the cucumber and the radishes. Of course if you don’t have a food processor, you could grate both of these vegetable.
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 10 radishes, trimmed
- 1½ cups plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Using a food processor, finely shred the cucumber.
- Wrap the shredded cucumber in cheesecloth or a clean dishtowel and wring unit all of the water is out of the cucumber.
- Place cucumber in a fine meshed strainer (or over another piece of cheesecloth) over a bowl and allow to rest.
- Using a food processor, finely shred the radishes.
- Wrap the shredded radishes in cheesecloth or a clean dishtowel and wring until the water is out of the radishes.
- Add the radish shreds to the strainer (or piece of cheesecloth) that holds the cucumber, allowing them to continue draining while you finish the rest of the dip.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Add cucumbers and radishes to dip, mix well.
- Place into refrigerator for 1 hour to allow flavors to combine.
- Stir well, garnish with radish and cucumber shreds or thinly sliced scallions and serve.