I have been making salted caramel sauce for several years now. One year I even gave it as Christmas gifts for my friends and family. (I love homemade gifts-both giving and receiving!) But what everyone didn’t know is that the recipe that I had been using was unreliable. Some days the recipe would work for me…some days the recipe turned into a yellow, gritty mess. I went through a lot of ingredients and wasted a lot of time. Until I discovered this recipe for Salted Caramel Sauce by Sally’s Baking Addiction!
It turns out the method that I was using, which started by dissolving sugar in water, just didn’t always work for me. But this recipe? This Salted Caramel Sauce recipe provided a smooth, caramel-y, consistent sauce. I could count on this one. I could plan with this one. And this one gave me an arm workout! Win-Win! (In fact so much of a win, I immediately made 4 batches. For real.)
So as I alluded to earlier, this recipe uses your arm for constant stirring while the dry sugar melts and then dissolves into a thick, rich sauce. You will have to be present the whole time while making this one. But, oh friends, it is worth it. So, so worth it!
- 1 cup sugar (granulated is best, organic sugar tends to be difficult to melt evenly)
- 6 Tablespoons of butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place sugar into a saucepan.
- Heat sugar over medium-high heat.
- Stir sugar until the sugar clumps and then dissolves. (this takes muscles...just keep stirring!)
- Continue to stir sugar until it becomes a caramel colored liquid.
- Add the butter to the caramel liquid, keep stirring until the butter is completely melted!
- Slowly add the heavy cream to the saucepan-be careful, it may spatter and bubble.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in the salt and remove pan from the heat.
- Allow caramel to cool and then carefully pour into a glass jar (beware, the caramel will thicken as it cools).
Here is a link to the original recipe (Thanks Sally!)
And please stay tuned…I have some great uses for this Salted Caramel Sauce…coming soon!