Hey folks, July was a BUSY month (I feel like I say that frequently, this adulting thing is HARD). But with a mind towards gratitude let’s stop for a minute and talk about five great things from July!
[SOME OF THE LINKS IN THIS POST ARE AFFILIATE LINKS AND WE WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU MAKE A PURCHASE AFTER CLICKING ON OUR LINK. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUR WORK HERE AT WITH TWO SPOONS!]
Let’s talk about 5 great things from July! (in no particular order)
1. Cabin Time. This is where any semblance of zen comes from (although I am getting closer through yoga, see below). I relax the second I’m on the road heading up north. And if you haven’t been to north central Minnesota-land of lakes-get thyself there quick, it’s amazingly beautiful! I was super fortunate to be able to spend a 10 day uninterrupted stretch relaxing at the cabin at the beginning of July. I spent the time recharging, reading on my dock, kayaking, making plant forward dinners for my family, entertaining friends, boating, and just generally basking in the sun! We recently bought water skis and I will admit I tried (several times), but couldn’t get up on them…yet. It really wasn’t pretty, but you know me, I’m stubborn. Hopefully by the end of the summer I’ll be able to do it. If not, I’ll sure have fun trying! Luckily in August I have another stretch of time at the cabin, so more relaxation to come.
2. Fitness Routine. July as been a come to Jesus month with my lack of activity. I’ve now been called out on it multiple times by multiple people. And my labs which were fabulous after Whole30 are now starting to slide. Although I’m planning on another Whole30 in January, I can’t completely eat that way all of that time, it’s just not realistic for my lifestyle. Having said that I do eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, whole grain salads, and lean proteins. I’ve cleaned up my diet, and now I’m working on my fitness. I got a ton of great suggestions from all of you (read about that here) and have gotten myself started! I bought new shoes (these!), rounded out my weight set at home, and found myself a Beachbody coach (thank Tracy, for introducing me to Bridget!). I started going to yoga twice a week (yay for zen!), and reminded myself how fun it is to walk while listening to an audiobook. I’m a little over 2 weeks in and starting to settle in. I’ve found it takes drinking a ton more water, a lot of dedication, and most of all planning. Since my schedule is so erratic at the hospital, and my kids have variable activities in the summer, I have to actually schedule exercise in exactly like I would schedule a meeting. So far so good, but I anticipate it will get harder. Feel free to continue all of your support-it really does help!
3. CSA Vegetables. I’ve talked about my CSA (community supported agriculture) share previously, and it has been one of the best parts of July! Fresh vegetables, right off of the farm, that I pick up at my favorite coffee shop weekly. YASSSS!! So for those of you who don’t think you can go through a box of vegetables every week, I promise you, you can! I’ve been finding my inspiration in all sorts of places. My top 3 places for vegetable inspiration right now are Where Cooking Begins (Carla Lalli Music), America’s Test Kitchen Vegetables, and Ottolenghi Simple. If you don’t have these, check them out! Not only are they inspiration, they are also I feel so good eating all of these vegetables, and by cutting out the processed foods, I feel like my cravings are way down too! Win-Win!
4. Ed Sheeran’s new album. Really, I shouldn’t need to say another word about this one, because we’re all already listening to this one on repeat, but in case you are living under a rock…Ed Sheeran’s new album is out and it is So. Much. Fun. Titled No. 6 Collaborations Project, it’s a compilation of songs that he does with other artists. Looking for a great ballad? He had me at “Best of You” with Yebba. Also check out Beautiful People with Khalid. There is an even a track with Justin Bieber (I’m conflicted about Bieber coming back on the scene, but the tune is pretty catchy). This is one album with something for everyone. And you all know how much I love Ed. A total win for July!
5. We met our new intern. My son goes to a Spanish Immersion school (my daughter went there as well when she was an elementary school student). At their school they host “interns” who are young adults from Spanish speaking countries who are studying to be educators in their countries. They help in the classrooms and integrate into the community. We agreed to host one of these interns for the fall semester of school. Last week we found out that we will be hosting Gaby from El Salvador and we have been skyping and emailing with her to get to know her better. Her visit to the US will be her first time on an airplane! She seems like she will fit in perfectly with our family and we’re so excited to welcome her to Minnesota and to show her the best parts of our life here!
So cheers to August! Let’s hope it is fabulous as July was!
We’d love to hear your great things from this July! #WithTwoSpoons on social media and tag us (@WithTwoSpoons) so we can see what made you happy!