It’s another wild weather day here in Minneapolis. After surviving the historic Polar Vortex of 2019 last week, it rained on Super Bowl Sunday, and we’ve since had two significant snow events. In other words, I’m a little over this winter business right now. Typically we try and escape the balmy midwest this time of year for a tropical destination. We are not traveling until later this winter so I’ve had to lean on a few little creature comforts and favorite things to get me through the dreary days! This week’s Friday Five is all about My Current Favorites for Surviving Winter.
01. Winter Skin Favorites. For me, winter weather means dry skin. While I’m more of a skin care minimalist in the summer, the harsh weather in the winter months means I need to really think about the products I use to keep my skin soft and glowing. Recently I’ve been loving this cleansing balm and this moisturizer. I am also totally addicted to this glow tonic.
02. A Night Cap. Well, a night cap of the non-alcoholic variety, anyway. Lately, my husband and I have been making a nightly cup of tea to enjoy while we read, watch TV, or get some work done. It’s been such a great, relaxing little ritual and I couldn’t do it without my trusty tea kettle. One of my favorite teas has been out of stock everywhere lately (seriously, if anyone knows where to get some – DM me. I need to get some more!) but we’ve been trying out some new to us flavors like this and this.
03. My Favorite Slippers. I may have blogged about these before, so if I did, I’m sorry. But they are honestly one of my all time favorite things. I wear them every day, year round (!), but can’t live without them in the winter. I even bring them with me when I travel.
04. Cozy Sweaters and Cute Boots. Sometimes it’s hard to feel cute when you’re wearing 85 layers to stay warm, but cute and functional boots (these two – here and here – are my favorites) and a great sweater make it a little easier. I got this cozy Madewell sweater for Christmas and it’s been on repeat ever since. I’m also loving this one and this one.
05. Good Books and Good Podcasts. Maybe it’s escapism at it’s finest, but I’ve been absolutely diving in to some great books and podcasts lately. Lane and I both just finished reading The Immortalists, by Chloe Benjamin for a book club we are in and I have so many feelings about it! Have you read it? What did you think? I started reading The Power last night and I think it’s going to be another great read. Are you following along with our #WithTwoSpoonsReads project? We’re posting about books on our IG feed and it’s been really fun. Speaking of Instagram, if you follow us on stories you may have seen that I started listening to Cold. I’m totally addicted. It’s like the podcast version of Dateline.
Do you have any musts for surviving winter where you live? We are always on the lookout for new things to add to our favorites list so let us know on Instagram, in the comments, or on Facebook! Have a great weekend!