You know when you are looking for something indulgent but simple? ME TOO!
Something fairly quick but unusual? ME TOO!
A recipe that will impress your kids? Well maybe not so much on that one…but if it happens (and it did) then bonus!
These Chocolate Strawberry Eggrolls will check ALL of the boxes!
Dessert, sweet dessert. I am actually not much of a dessert person, vastly prefering savory (unless it’s Reeses Peanut Butter Cups-all bets are off if those are around). However, when I have dessert, I want it to be worthy. I know you know what I mean.
These Chocolate Strawberry Eggrolls were born of a summer day goofing around in my kitchen at the cabin. (The very, very best things are born there, honestly!) My kids love chocolate covered strawberries and this was a natural extension of those flavors.
I happen to like a darker chocolate and my littles like milk chocolate, so we compromised by using Ghirardelli’s semisweet chips and they were perfect. Powdered sugar is optional, but oh so pretty!
Imagine a bunch of kids, sitting on a dock, eating these egg rolls, chocolate dotting their fingers and strawberry juice running down their chins. Maybe a little messy, but they all asked for more. Every one of them! So then the adults needed to try them (doesn’t everyone try out their creations on their kids first?). Let me tell you, they were a hit among adults and kids alike. A hit that is going to be repeated again and again. (and luckily, a quick dunk in the lake and all kids were clean again-hallelujah!) Now fast forward to fall and my son is STILL asking when we can make these special treats again (answer: very, very soon.).
- 16 ounces strawberries, sliced
- 10 ounces chocolate chips (you can use milk, semisweet, or dark depending on your preference)
- 12-15 egg roll wrappers
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips until smooth.
- Lay out egg roll wrapper.
- Spoon 2 Tablespoons of sliced strawberries onto wrapper.
- Cover strawberries with 1 Tablespoon of melted chocolate.
- Wrap egg rolls as directed on package, using water to seal the edges.
- Repeat process until all egg rolls are filled and rolled.
- Heat vegetable oil in a dutch oven, until it is shimmering. (You will need several inches of oil, to cover the egg rolls.)
- Place egg rolls a few at a time into the oil.
- Fry 3-5 minutes on each side, until egg roll wrapper is golden.
- Gently remove egg rolls from oil, place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat until all egg rolls have been fried.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Drizzle egg rolls with chocolate.
- Dust egg rolls with powdered sugar.