Is everyone surviving the craziness of back to school and the end of summer? I don’t know about you, but the last few weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind full of last summer trips, school prep, and soaking up the final bit of really warm weather and fresh produce! Though summer still technically as a few weeks to go, with school starting here in a few days, it feels like fall is upon us. Our Good Food Reads this week is celebrating the five things I’m loving as we head Back to School!
(The yummy salad in the picture above isn’t technically one of my friday five this week, but it’s so dang good that I’ve been making it almost non-stop. Find the recipe here.)
01. A Cup of Hot Tea. The busy days have left me a little bit on the tired side and without much time to really relax. One thing I’ve been loving lately is a great cup of tea at night. It helps me to unwind and feels like a treat without adding any extra calories. I always use my Bodum electric tea kettle and lately I’ve been loving the Aveda comfort tea or this Harney & Sons Peppermint.
02. Creative Lunch & Snack Ideas. My oldest is starting kindergarten this year and I’m a bit overwhelmed with having to prepare healthy snacks and lunches each day! There have been so many great school snack and lunch roundups by fellow bloggers and I’m so grateful. Looking for some ideas? Check out this one, this one, or even this article from Parents magazine.
03. Contigo Water Bottles. I’ve always been a fan of the Contigo water bottles for my kids. They are inexpensive, durable, and come in lots of great colors. I’ve typically gone for the plastic versions but now I’ve found some stainless steel options and can’t wait to give these a try for school.
04. School Supplies. I haven’t been in school for a few years now, but just like Joe Fox (anyone know the movie?), fall makes me want to buy school supplies. My favorites are the ultra-washable markers (because I have a toddler who loves to color on just about anything but paper!), these pens, Zebra Multicolor Midliners, and beautiful notebooks.
05. My Instant Pot. Anything that gets a healthy dinner on the table in under an hour and in one pot? I’m in, especially during busy weeks like these. The Instant Pot and other pressure cookers are everywhere now, and with good reason. Our Chipotle Black Bean Soup and Korean Inspired Pulled Pork are go-to Instant Pot recipes around here. I’m also really excited to try out some of the recipes in Martha Stewart’s Pressure Cooker book.