Winter is here in Minneapolis. Oh sure, it’s not TECHNICALLY winter (which I’m reminded of frequently by my rule following 6 year old), but Thanksgiving is over, the cold has moved in, and it’s dark hours and hours before we go to bed. (Notice I don’t say before I’m READY to go to bed…). With the cold comes the need for soup. Warm, comforting, fill-you-up soup. Like this Instant Pot Thai Butternut Squash Soup.
I first heard about the Instant Pot in a Facebook group Holly and I are a part of (and 65,000+ women can’t be wrong!). Now, I can’t turn around without hearing about the Instant Pot. I see this little gadget in every store I walk into, it’s discussed in many of the social media outlets we are a part of, and I’ve bought one not only for myself, but also for my in-laws. I guess you could say I’m a believer. In fact, on the top of my Christmas List is an Instant Pot to leave at my cabin so I can stop hauling mine back and forth (so Santa if you’re listening…).
I’ll admit when I bought my Instant Pot, I was totally intimidated. Pressure cooking sounded dangerous. The Instant Pot sounded complicated. Truth is, this little appliance is a game changer. Especially for me.
The Instant Pot makes quick work of soups, rice, quinoa, meats, vegetables and so much more! It makes this Instant Pot Thai Butternut Squash Soup a breeze to make. Sauté the onions and garlic using the sauté function of the Instant Pot. Throw the rest of the ingredients into the pot and cook on manual while you are off making dessert, tackling that laundry that never seems to go away, or just enjoying a glass of wine. Simple and relatively hands off!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion (approximately 1 cup), diced
- 1 apple (approximately 1 cup), peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 large butternut squash (approximately 3-4 cups), peeled and cubed
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, cut into 8 sections
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped for garnish
- ½ cup peanuts, chopped
- Sriracha, for garnish (optional)
- Turn your Instant Pot to sauté.
- Add olive oil to the pot and heat until shimmering.
- Add onions and apples and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and sauté an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in red curry paste and salt, cook for 1 minute.
- Add squash, coconut milk, and vegetable stock, bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Secure the lid on your Instant Pot and cook on manual for 20 minutes.
- Allow natural pressure release.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until desired consistency (I like my soup smooth!).
- Scoop into bowls and garnish with a section of lime (squeeze into soup), a tablespoon of cilantro and a tablespoon of chopped peanuts.
- If you prefer more spice, drizzle soup with Sriracha.