Let’s just get this out of the way: I am not a morning person. While having a toddler has certainly forced me to be an early riser, mornings are still not my most productive time. I much prefer a slow wake up, a lazy cup of coffee, and a leisurely breakfast. Unfortunately for me, being a full time working mama doesn’t mean that I can indulge in mornings MY way very often. So, I try and keep some healthy breakfast options on hand to ease the way. These Healthy Egg White Breakfast Muffins are a staple around here. They take less than 10 minutes to put together and freeze beautifully, all while being full of fresh veggies and tangy cheese. Paired with a lovely breakfast sausage or a glass of vegetable juice and it’s a filling, easy way to start the day.
The best thing about these egg muffins really is how versatile they are. I love to make mine with egg whites (to allow more calories for cheese!), bell peppers, and spinach. They are amazing with bacon, goat cheese and sundried tomatoes, too. Frequently, they are filled with whatever needs to be used up from the vegetable drawer.
My secret ingredient, however, is Costco’s Organic No Salt Seasoning. Don’t get me wrong, I love some salt and do add it to the egg muffins. Using a no salt blend allows you to control how much salt is in your dish, and adds spectacular flavor. I think I paid about $5 for the huge jar pictured above. Gotta love Costco! (FYI: This is not in anyway a sponsored post or ad. I just legitimately love Costco and this crazy seasoning)
These Healthy Egg White Breakfast Muffins are wonderful eaten right away but I usually freeze them on a baking sheet and then, when frozen, toss them in a freezer bag. When I’m in a rush in the mornings, I grab one or two and toss them in a glass container with a lovely piece of breakfast sausage (also at Costco: Jones Dairy Farm Sausage Links. Yum!) and microwave for a few minutes until heated through. Breakfast – done!!
- Approximately 10-12 egg whites (or one 16 ounce container of egg whites)
- 1-1.5 cups of grated sharp cheddar
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kirkland Organic non-salt seasoning
- Sea salt to taste
- Mix the chopped peppers and spinach together in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with the no salt seasoning and toss to coat.
- Generously coat a 12 cup muffin tray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide the veggies among the cups and top each with a generous sprinkling of cheese.
- Pour the egg whites evenly over the veggie cups and add a pinch of salt to each.
- Baket at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until the eggs are set and just golden.