Ya’ll, the heat is ON. Minneapolis is under a “heat dome” right now and with heat indices over 100 degrees, the last thing I want to be doing is cooking: enter the smoothie. A 3 minute meal that satisfies toddlers, hungry husbands, and pregnant women in one fell swoop. This Simple Summer Green Smoothie is exactly what is sounds like: Easy, green, and full of summery flavor.
One of the best things about smoothies is the ability to easily adapt a recipe to any given taste or, in my case, what’s in the fridge or freezer. I usually keep frozen pineapple and mango on hand (I buy big bags at Costco!) and love to combine those with plain greek yogurt, fresh spinach, banana, and a hint of honey for a quick breakfast or snack that has plenty of nutrients and great tropical flavor. If you want to add coconut water for electrolytes, go for it! Need some protein powder to heft it up a little? I recommend Vega in Vanilla. Leftovers make great toddler popsicles as well (I love using my Zoku for quick popsicles!). Just one tip: if you want to keep the vibrant green color of our Simple Summer Green Smoothie, avoid substituting any darker berries, such as blueberries or blackberries. Your smoothie will taste great, but the color will definitely be more of a brownish color and decidedly less photogenic!
- ½ cup water (can use coconut water or regular)
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 small banana, broken into large chunks
- 1 generous handful fresh baby spinach
- 1 handful frozen mango
- 1 handful frozen pineapple
- 1 small drizzle of honey (approximately ½ tsp)
- Add the ingredients in the order listed to the jar of a high powered blender (I use Blendtec; a Ninja or Vitamix would also work) and process according to your blender instructions.
- Serve immediately.